If you’re the one friends and family call when they are going through a rough time, you might have just the type of personality that would lend itself to helping those who struggle through mental health crises.
Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services has been offering free counseling and care to people in need for over 75 years. The organization, which is home to the leading Suicide Prevention Center in the United States, is now hiring for the position of chat and text supervisor.
Just updated: 50+ Ways to Make Money (including 30+ work from home jobs)
The chat and text supervisor manages volunteers for the Suicide Prevention Center’s crisis phone and text lines. The supervisor is in charge of making sure that the volunteers are complying with all policies, guidelines, and procedures in accordance with the high standards of Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services.
- Training new hires and volunteers for the Suicide Prevention Center
- Listening in on phone calls and monitoring text messages to ensure that guidelines are being followed
- Giving feedback and constructive criticism to volunteers with the idea that there will always be room for improvement
- Supporting team members one-on-one in addition to group support
- Attending all meetings with department heads and team members
- Commencing and guiding debriefing meetings with team members after they finish providing assistance to a caller or texter
- Being available during all calls and texts to find resources for volunteers, if necessary
- Taking overflow calls and texts if there are no volunteers at the ready
- Making important decisions (along with other supervisors) about whether or not to send for in-person crisis support or rescue teams
The ideal candidate
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Is over the age of 21
- Possesses a driver’s license, car insurance, and a copy of a driving record
- Is a patient listener
- Can prove management or supervisory skills that pertain to the role
- Has a flexible schedule (The position might require scheduling outside of normal business hours, like nights and weekends.)
- Is computer-literate, knows their way around Microsoft Office Suite, and picks up on new technology quickly
- Is proficient in conflict resolution and mediation
- Has a basic understanding of HIPAA and emergency mental health services and can easily commit policies, regulations, and Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services guidelines to memory
- Is sensitive to the experiences of marginalized people, including those with different socioeconomic backgrounds, medical or physical abilities, countries of origin, histories of mental health issues, races, sexual orientations, gender identities, and religious roots
- Is adaptable, sensitive, supportive, and truly believes in the Didi Hirsch mission
The Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services Suicide Prevention Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any protected class. The position is available to applicants across the United States, provided that they have a stable internet connection and the right disposition.
Pay for this position may be up to $48,000 annually, but be sure to ask and negotiate during the interview process and understand that you will need to attend a two-day training program.
Wouldn’t it feel rewarding to do something that matters to the world without ever leaving the comfort of your own home? If the role of chat and text supervisor sounds like a great fit for you, apply here.