In the medical field, customer service has a different level of importance. It’s one thing to ensure the satisfaction of people buying clothes or dining in a restaurant, but quite another to address the needs of people in various forms of distress.
We’re talking about physical pain, mental anguish, and emotional suffering. All of these call for an extra dose of diligence from personnel interfacing with patients.
Are you up to the challenge of performing this task on a regular basis? If so, we’ve found a job opening just for you.
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is looking for a full-time patient service representative who’s willing to do the job under remote work arrangements. Above all, BMC wants an individual who can demonstrate empathy, patience, and resilience in their dealings with patients.
More on BMC
Though the BMC entity was formally established in 1996, its roots go way, way back.
BMC was created as a result of a merger between two medical institutions. One was Boston City Hospital, which in 1864 became the first municipal hospital established in the U.S. The other was Boston University Medical Center Hospital, which opened its doors in 1855.
What did BMC inherit from its predecessors? It was the commitment to provide high-quality healthcare to the underprivileged communities of Boston. To this day, BMC has not strayed from this mission. As per its website, “BMC is the largest safety net hospital in New England, with approximately 73% of our patients coming from low-income and under-resourced populations.”
In particular, the institution embraces the ethnic diversity of its patients—a reflection of Boston’s rich cultural heritage. As a matter of fact, BMC has in-house interpreters who can provide translation services in more than 30 languages at any given hour, on any day of the week.
By offering a wide array of medical services—from pediatric primary care and family medicine to therapy, surgery, and cancer treatment—BMC levels the playing field in terms of healthcare accessibility. However, it does need more help, and you could be the one to provide it.
What can you expect from this job?
Just updated: 50+ Ways to Make Money (including 30+ work from home jobs)
More ways to make money:
FlexJobs – Find remote and flexible jobs in over 50 career fields from all over the world.
Swagbucks – Earn free gifts and cash-back rebates by searching the web, playing games, watching videos, shopping, and more.
Writers Work – Find freelance writing jobs and publish your articles, all while working from home.
Public.com – Get free stock just for signing up for this investment app.
The primary responsibility of the patient services rep is to handle “inbound and outbound communications for BMC’s Primary Care Practice.” Specifically, the person hired will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Communicate with patients and staff via phone, email, online chat, and other advanced interfacing tools
- Display professionalism, empathy, and patience in responding to patients’ queries
- Schedule (and reschedule) appointments
- Facilitate telemedicine visits by giving clear instructions to patients
- Update patient records using the Epic software system
- Attend training sessions to improve customer service, phone support, and other relevant skills
To qualify for this position, applicants must have the following:
- A high school diploma or GED (at minimum)
- Prior healthcare training (e.g., as a medical assistant or a pharmacy technician)
- At least two years of medical office or call center work experience (Note: Medical field experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree, associate degree, or medical assistant certificate is preferred.)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Outstanding communication skills (oral and written)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and various communication platforms
- Reliable internet connection and a secure workspace
The estimated salary for this position is between $2,900 and $4,000 per month.
Ready to apply for this post? Head over here to get started. With the good work that you’ll do, you can continue BMC’s long-lasting tradition of providing great service to those who are most in need.